Friday, February 22, 2008

My Kampung - Rani, Tenghilan

Visited my grandma at my kampung (village) at Rani, Tenghilan (before Kota Belud) during the last CNY holidays...I missed to pulang kampung and eat traditional kampung food like the 'bosou' but most of all I love the beautiful landscape surrounding our family's kampung home like the paddy fields, the mini stream and there's even a little view of Mt. Kinabalu at the background as if like hiding behind the hills. Carmen enjoys running around the front yard.


Looking at the view through the window. 'No Fear Just Faith'...I think that's my younger sis, Diane Chrissie's vandalism act when she was still a minor...I think she's pretty naughty at that time. By the way, she lives with my grandma since she was 4 or 6 months old and she grew up in this kampung. She's a tough girl..am proud of her.

A bridge made of bamboos..the villagers still used them even to this modern day to get to the paddy fields to plant paddy and harvest. This bridge is built on our land to our paddy fields.


This is how the paddy fields looked like after the harvest in last Dec 07 and soon the villagers will start to plant paddy again after using buffalos to crush the soils.

Dad and Zorab with Carmen looking at our abandoned fish ponds

Carmen enjoyed her visit to the Kampung

2 comments:

David said...

hi, i am son of Tenghilan & now live in Singapore. My late father Leong Ah King owned the Kedai shop no.8. My late brother Apai or Roger passed away in 2007. I am trying to trace & find out how Tenghilan was originated or named. Do u know any old people around who can rememeber one thing or two? Do visit Tenghilan website under the land below the wind & u will find my mark/address in Tenghilan map too! Happy Chinese New Year!

Anonymous said...

Tenghilan get his name from a big tree called Monggilan; the original site of these tree was just behind the new tamu (badi) ground. The folk of Tenghilan gathering under the Mongilan's tree for barter trade; an exchanging goods without using money every Thursday morning. That my grandpa told me in 1976 when I just 10 years old.