Friday, September 17, 2010

The Purpose of Life


After watching these documentary videos - '10 Questions for the Dalai Lama' and 'Red Flag Over Tibet' and hearing my sister, Debbie's experiences from her recent visit to Mcleod Ganj, Dharamsala, India and her close encounter with His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama that I really got inspired with the teachings of the Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhism. I'm that kind of person that is SO easily inspired with anything that interest me...let it be the arts, music, fascinating people & etc. And I would love to visit Mcleod Ganj (also known as Little Lhasa) one day - if I could I would love to live there. It's where the 14th Dalai Lama lives and the Tibetan Government in exile is - cool! I also remembered watching 2 interesting movies about the Dalai Lama - 'Seven Years In Tibet' and 'Kundun' in the late 90s but I wasn't really fascinated about him at that time. Finding enlightenment in life & having good karma is always a cool thing to do!

Here are some inspiring sayings, quotes or mantra from the Dalai Lama that I liked on peace and happiness that I would like to share:

"There are many people who have wealth and power who remain unhappy, due to which their health declines, and they are always taking medicines. On the other hand, we find people who live like beggars but who always remain peaceful and happy. Therefore, in our daily life a certain way of thinking makes us happy, and a certain way of thinking makes us unhappy. In other words, there are certain states of mind which bring us problems, and they can be removed; we need to make an effort in that direction. Likewise, there are certain states of mind that bring us peace and happiness, and we need to cultivate and enhance them". - In here, I learned that when you have little, you have little things to worry about.

"It is very important to generate good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come".

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions".

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practise compassion".

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

No comments: